Hands-On Process Modeling and PI/PID Controller Tuning
Using Open-Loop and Closed-Loop Data
Robert W. Harrison, PE
ISA Life Fellow
5:00 p.m. ~ Food, Networking & Loading PC Software
6:00 p.m. ~ Presentation
Orange Coast College
Lewis Center for Applied Sciences - STEM Center
Building 42 on MAP
2701 Fairview Road
Costa Mesa CA. 92626
Directions to OCC
The closest parking to the Lewis Center for
Applied Sciences is Lot “E” off Merrimac Way between Fairview Road and Harbor Blvd.
The Parking Permits will be available at:
· The Lewis Center in Room STEM Center
· The Campus Public Safety Building;
Tell officer you are here for the ISA presentation
· Also, parking meters are near Lewis Center
(Click for Campus Map)
In tonight's Hands-On program (bring your PC) we will do the following:
• Software will be provided for each PC (Load 5-6pm)
• I will lead the following activities:
1. We will generate the Open-Loop process model, as we did in my
June Presentation (See Below), except you will do the work as I demonstrate. From this the PI/PID Controller Tuning Coefficients will be determined.
2. We will then use the "Real Process" to generate the
Closed-Loop test data. From this the PI/PID Controller Tuning Coefficients will be determined.
3. We will now compare the "Real Process" response using both the Open-Loop
and Closed-Loop Controller Tuning Coefficients under Closed-Loop control.
To evaluate our controllers, we will use a built in performance monitor.
Click to View or Download Presentation
Robert Harrison received his BSEE from Purdue
University and his MSEE from the University of
Pennsylvania majoring in control systems and
computer Science. Bob then spent 38 years
developing control and data acquisition systems
in the process control and aerospace industries.
He also taught control systems at Cal State
Fullerton for 30 years. Bob retired from Boeing
North American where he was a Technical Fellow.
Message Line: +1-949-268-9528
Address: 3843 S Bristol St., #362
Santa Ana, CA 92704